A Travellerspoint blog

Botanical Bliss


sunny 35 °C

8th October 2013

We set the alarm for 830am so that we could get started before it got too hot. First stop this morning, after breaksfast, was our hop on bus. We decided to look around the much acclaimed Botanical Gardens. It was very close, only the second stop on the bus. It was already hot when we got there. It is amazing how quickly it heats up here.

The garden entrance is inviting, with a huge waterfall, the horizontal type,rather than really tall. There was so much to see but we picked the Ginger Garden and the Orchid Garden. The Ginger Garden was situated after a lakeside walk and started with tree covered paths, nice and shady. There was a huge school group coming the other way, and while we waiting for it to pass we saw a big water dragon next to one of the ponds. Of course we then showed all of the kids and moved on. Through this pathway were lovely sections of waterfalls and caves where you could walk behind them. Most of the plants surrounding us were huge leaved and sprouting beautiful big flowers .


We wandered over to the Orchid Garden, we didn't realise we had to pay but for $5 thought we would give it a go. We were greeted by a lovely fountain, this time with statues and beds of orchids. All through the winding paths were scattered with orchids of all colours. Half way through were special collections of orchids, including exotic and hybrid. During this part of the garden we saw squirrels jumping through the trees frequently and a few birds up close.

After a walk around the lake and back to the start, our two hours were done and it was time for the next place on our list. This time we were going to a shopping mall for lunch and then to Arab Street for a look. Lunch was in a huge mall cafeteria, plenty of options but not all of them appetising. A short walk from there to Arab St and we were sweltering. We saw a brilliant mosque, and many stores of carpets, silks and lanterns. It was not very entertaining so we left there and headed to the bus for our river cruise stop.


The river cruise was at Clarke Wharf and was on a traditional Singaporean boat. It was complimentary with a our two day bus pass so we thought we would try it. I had done this same cruise 24 years ago, and it was very different. It took us upriver and into the new Marina Sands area. Still out to the Merlion and then back. It was great to relax for an hour.


When we returned to the hotel we had another swim and then got ready for an early dinner. We headed into the mall and went to a place called Chilis - a mexican place. It was very good. I had crispy chicken tacos, Ethan the chilli con carne a and David had a BBQ chicken salad. All of our meal were fabulous. We were sorry that this could be our last meal here, and went back to start packing our cases for tomorrows check out.

Posted by JenMF 03:41 Archived in Singapore

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint